Ingredients for Plain Dal :
1/2 cup Toor Dal (Arhar / Yellow Dal )
2 green chillies, chopped
1/2 table-spoon oil
2 cup water
salt to taste
Herbs and Spices :
1/2 t-spoon cumin seeds (jeera)
a pinch of Asafoetida
2/3 t-spoon turmeric powdered (haldi)
How to make Plain Dal :
- Wash Toor Dal 3-4 times with water and soak for 30 mins.
- Pressure cook Toor Dal with turmeric and a pinch of salt, cook it over medium-high heat for about 10-15 mins. or until Toor Dal gets tender.
- Now, for tempering, take a separate large frying pan, add oil to it and put it over medium heat.
- After a minute add cumin seeds, Asafoetida and chopped green chillies, stir it for minute.
- Add Toor Dal mixture and salt to the large frying pan and turn the heat to high, stir it well. When it starts boiling, turn the heat to low, cover the pan and cook further for 4-5 mins. or until the Plain Toor Dal gets soften and gets little dissolved in a mixture.
- Serve Plain daal hot with roti or chapati.