Methi Dal is also known as Methi Pappu Fry Curry in Andhra Pradesh.
Ingredients for Methi Dal :
1 cup Toor Dal (Arhar Daal)
1 cup Methi, finely chopped (Fenugreek Leaves)
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1 table-spoon, ginger paste (adrak)
2 green chillies, chopped
2 table-spoon oil
4 cup water
salt to taste
Herbs and spices :
1/2 t-spoon cumin powdered (jeera)
1/2 t-spoon mustard seeds (rai)
1/2 t-spoon coriander powdered (dhaniya)
1/4 t-spoon garam masala
1/2 t-spoon turmeric powdered (haldi)
1/4 t-spoon Red chilli Powder
How to make Methi Dal :
- Wash Toor Dal 3-4 times with water and soak for 30 mins.
- Pressure cook Toor Dal with 4 cup water, Methi leaves, turmeric and a pinch of salt for about 15-20 mins. or until Toor Dal and Methi gets soft.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium flame. Splutter cumin seeds, mustard seeds and chopped green chillies. Then, add onion, ginger and cook for about 3-4 mins. stirring frequently. Add, chopped tomatoes, powdered coriander and Red Chilli Powder to the pan and cook further on medium flame for 2 mins.
- Now, you need to add Toor Dal and Methi mixture to the pan and cook further for 8-10 minutes. Add some water, if needed to achieve the desired consistency.
- Sprinkle it with garam masala and serve Methi Dal hot with rice or chapati.