Indian Dal Makhani is a restaurant style Punjabi Recipe. I found it the most frequently made dal in Punjabi Homes. Daal Makhni is black in colour due to the presence of whole urad dal and best to serve with rice and chapati. I am giving you the authentic recipe of Daal Makhni.
Ingredients for Dal Makhani :
1 cup whole Urad dal
1/4 cup Rajma
1 onion, finely chopped
2-3 small tomatoes, chopped
2 green chillies, chopped
1 table-spoon, grated ginger (adrak)
1 t-spoon garlic, finely chopped (lahsun)
1/4 cup cream (Malai)
2 table-spoon butter
2 table-spoon oil
1 table-spoon coriander leaves, finely chopped to garnish (dhaniya patti)
3 1/2 cup water
salt to taste
Herbs and Spices :
1/2 t-spoon cumin seeds (jeera)
1/2 t-spoon coriander powdered (dhaniya)
1/4 t-spoon Red Chilli Powder (Lal Mirch Powder)
1/4 t-spoon garam masala
1/2 t-spoon turmeric powdered (haldi)
How to make Dal Makhani :
- Soak Rajma in water for 6-8 hours. Now take a pressure cooker and add 4 cup water, Urad Dal and Rajma to it and pressure cook it over medium-high heat for about 30 mins. or until they get tender.
- Now for tadka, take a separate large frying pan, add oil to it and put it over medium heat.
- After a minute add cumin seeds and green chillies, stir it for 15-30 secs. Then, add onion, ginger, garlic and cook for about 3-4 mins. stirring continuously. Add, chopped tomatoes, cream (Malai) and all the remaining spices to the pan and cook further on medium flame for 2-3 mins.
- Add Rajma and dal mixture and salt to the large frying pan and turn the heat to high, stir it well. When it starts boiling, turn the heat to low, cover the pan and cook further for 8-10 mins. Now add garam masala and cook further for 2 mins.
- Garnish Dal Makhani with chopped coriander leaves and 2 table-spoon of butter.