Chana Dal Recipe
Chana dal recipe can be made with many variations and can be served with rice, pulao or roti. Sometimes people call it channa daal curry, chana dhal masala fry or tadka. Best chane ki dal can be made using a pressure cooker.
Ingredients for Chana Dal :
1 cup (250 gms.) Chana Dal (Split Bengal Gram)
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tomato, chopped
2 green chillies, chopped
1 table-spoon, grated ginger (adrak)
1 t-spoon garlic, finely chopped (lahsun)
2 table-spoon oil
1 table-spoon coriander leaves, finely chopped to garnish (dhaniya patti)
3 1/2 cup water
salt to taste
Herbs and Spices :
1/2 t-spoon cumin seeds (jeera)
1/2 t-spoon cumin powdered (jeera)
2/3 t-spoon coriander powdered (dhaniya)
1/4 t-spoon Red Chilli Powder (Lal Mirch Powder)
1/2 t-spoon garam masala (optional, if want to make more masala rich chana dal)
1/2 t-spoon pepper powder (optional, if want some sort of throat touching spicy dal)
2/3 t-spoon turmeric powdered (haldi)
How to make Chana Dal :
- Wash Chana Dal 3-4 times with water and keep it in a bowl. Add enough water to cover Chana Dal and soak for 30 mins. After 30 mins. drain water from the bowl.
- Now take a pressure cooker and add 3 1/2 cup water, Chana Dal, turmeric, pepper, powdered cumin and coriander to it and pressure cook it over medium-high heat for about 20-25 mins. or until Dal gets tender.
- Now, for the tadka, take a separate large frying pan, add oil to it and put it over medium heat.
- After a minute add cumin seeds and green chillies, stir it for 15-30 secs.Then add onion, ginger, garlic and cook for about 3-4 mins. stirring continuously. Add, chopped tomatoes and Red Chilli Powder to the pan and cook further on medium flame for 2-3 mins.
- Add Chana Dal mixture and salt to the large frying pan and turn the heat to high, stir it well. When it starts boiling, turn the heat to low, cover the pan and cook further for 10-15 mins. or until the Dal gets soften and gets little dissolved in a mixture. Now add garam masala, pepper (optional) and cook further for 2 mins.
- Serve Chana Dal hot with rice, pulao or roti and garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.