Indian Beetroot chutney is also known as Beetroot Thuvaiyal, Chukandar ki chutney. Beetroot is good for people suffering with anemia and other diseases. Beetroot is the major source of vitamins and iron.
Ingredients for Beetroot chutney:
2 medium sized Beetroot, grated ( Chukandar )
1/2 t-spoon urad dal (split black lentils)
5-6 whole red chillies
20 Curry leaves, (Kadhi patta)
1/2 cup grated coconut (nariyal)
2 table-spoon cooking oil
1/2 t-spoon mustard seeds (rai / sarson ka dana)
8-10 coriander leaves, finely chopped (Dhaniya patti)
salt to taste
How to make Beetroot chutney:
- Take a small fry pan and heat 1 1/2 table-spoon oil in it. Then, add red chillies, urad dal and curry leaves. Fry them on low heat for a minute, stirring continuously.
- Add the beetroot and cook further for 4 to 5 mins. Now, add grated coconut and salt, cook further for 2 to 3 mins. Then, turn off the heat and allow the whole mixture to get cool at room temperature.
- Now take a grinder, add fried mixture and 3-4 table-spoon of water. Grind it to form a smooth paste.
- Now, take a small frying pan and heat 1/2 table-spoon oil in it, add mustard to the oil, when mustard seeds starts cracking, pour them to the grinned mixture of beetroot. Mix beetroot chutney well.
- Beetroot chutney is ready to eat.
- Sprinkle Beetroot chutney with finely chopped coriander leaves and serve it.