The main ingredient in Bengali chutney is tomato, that's why we also call it Bengali tomato Chutney recipe. Following is the recipe of Original Bengali Chutney.
Ingredients for Bengali chutney:
7-8 medium sized tomatoes, chopped
10 pieces dates, chopped (Khajur)
2 whole red chillies
1 t-spoon mustard seeds (rai/sarson ka dana)
1 t-spoon grated ginger (adrak)
1/2 table-spoon cooking oil
1/2 cup jaggery or to taste (Gudh)
How to make Bengali chutney:
- Take a small fry pan and heat 1/2 table-spoon oil in it. Then, add red chilli and mustard to it.
- Add chopped tomatoes and dates to the pan and cook it with closed lid on medium-low heat till the water from tomatoes gets disappear, Stir occasionally.
- Add ginger and jaggery, cook on low heat until Bengali chutney gets required thickness and everything blend together. Let bengali chutney gets cool at room temperature.
- Now take a grinder, add chutney to it. Grind bengali chutney to form a smooth paste.
- Tasty Bengali chutney is ready to eat.