Ingredients for Perugu Vada (Garelu) :
For Vada (Garelu) :
1 cup Urad Dal (Black lentil without skin)
Oil for frying
1/2 t-spoon salt or to taste
To Serve :
1 kg Curd (Dahi / Perugu)
1 teaspoon ginger paste (Adrak)
1 green chilly, chopped
1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds (Rai)
1 teaspoon Urad Dal
1 Whole Red Chilly
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder (Lal Mirch)
1/2 teaspoon Kala Namak (black salt)
a bunch of Curry Leaves (Kadhi Patta)
2 table-spoon coriander leaves, Finely chopped (Hara Dhaniya)
1 table-spoon cooking oil
salt to taste
How to make Perugu Vada :
To Make Vada (Garelu) :
- Soak Urad dal in water for 7-8 hours or overnight. Next morning, grind it to a paste, add little water if needed. Add 1/2 t-spoon salt and mix the batter properly.
- In a medium size pan heat oil to deep fry vada. Take a handful of vada batter and give it a round shape of vada with hole at the center. Deep fry Garelu in oil at medium heat till golden yellow.
- Take vadas out from the pan and soak in salty water for 3-4 minutes. Squeeze the water out of wadas and put them on a large serving plate.
To serve Perugu Vada :
- Beat Curd by adding a little water and salt to it. Add ginger and green chilly to it and mix well.
- Heat 1 table-spoon oil in a medium fry pan. Splutter mustard seeds , add urad dal, red chilly and curry leaves to the pan, cook on medium flame for a minute. Turn off the flame and pour this seasoning in Curd mixture.
- In a large serving plate arrange vadas one after other. Pour this prepared curd mixture on vadas.
- Now, sprinkle red chili powder, black salt and coriander leaves on Perugu Vadas.
- Refrigerate them for 30 minutes before serving.