Andhra Style Mushroom Curry Recipe
Andhra Style Mushroom curry is also known as South Indian Mushroom Curry. It has more number of spices and a quite sweet flavour of Cashews and poppy seeds. The curry is best to serve with rice or chapati.
Ingredients for Andhra Style Mushroom Curry :
250 grams Mushrooms (try whole button mushrooms)
2 table-spoon Poppy Seeds (Khas Khas)
1 Big Cardamom
1 inch Cinnamon stick
5-6 Cashews (Kaju)
1 t-spoon ginger paste (Adrak)
1 t-spoon garlic paste (Lahsun)
2 green chillies, chopped
1/2 t-spoon cumin, powdered (jeera)
1/2 t-spoon turmeric (haldi)
1/2 t-spoon coriander (pisa dhaniya)
1/4 t-spoon chili powder (Lal Mirch)
4 table-spoon oil
1 table-spoon ghee
1 t-spoon salt or to taste
How to make Andhra Style Mushroom Curry :
- Fry cashews in 1 table-spoon ghee till light brown. Grind poppy seeds and cashews to a fine paste. Cut mushrooms into small pieces.
- Make a puree of tomato and onion separately using a blender.
- Heat oil in a medium size pan. Add onion paste and green chillies to it, stir frequently, keep the flame to medium and cook the mixture till golden brown.
- After 4-5 minutes add cardamom, cinnamon, tomato puree, ginger, garlic paste, coriander, cumin, turmeric and chili powder and cook further for 2 mins.
- Add mushrooms and cashew-poppy seeds paste, season with salt and cook further on low heat for 5 mins.
- Add 1/2 to 1 cup of water to the pan as you desire. Cook mushrooms by covering pan with a lid until mushrooms get properly cooked and you get the desired thick curry.
- Serve Andhra Style Mushroom Curry hot with rice or chapati.