Ingredients for Andhra Idli :
6 cups Idli Rice
2 cups Dhuli Urad Dal (split black lentils without skin)
Oil for greasing
1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
How to make Andhra idli :
To Make Idly Batter :
- Wash Rice with water properly and soak in water overnight.
- Wash Urad dal with water 3-4 times and soak it overnight in sufficient water.
- Next Morning, grind Urad dal by adding water in sufficient quantity to a smooth and fluffy paste.
- Grind rice separately. by adding sufficient water to a little grainy batter.
- Now, add salt to this batter and keep it in a warm place for 5-6 hours for fermenting. (At the time of winter, fermentation may take upto 8 hours).
To Cook Idlis :
- Take an idli Mould (Idly Holder) and grease it with little oil.
- Fill the mould up to its 3/4th with fermented batter.
- Pour some water in the idli maker.
- Cook idlis for 8-10 minutes on medium flame.
- After 10 minutes touch the idlis with your fingers, if they are still sticky, cook further for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove them immediately from the idli maker with the help of a knife.
- Andhra idlis are ready to serve with Sambar and Chutney.